Punk Goes Pop
July 14, 2017
Punk goes Pop Vol 7. was released July 14, 2017. It is the 17th release in the popular “Punk Goes” series. Before today I was unaware of “Punk Goes” 80’s, Pop, country, etc. Punk Goes Pop always catches my ear because of my love of Billboard top hits, boy bands, great guitar riffs and the occasion screaming.
The list of songs they chose to cover this time around both excited and scares me. “Stitches” by Shawn Mendes? Yes! “Love Yourself” by Justin Beiber? I’m a big Beiber fan, and I don’t usually like when someone sings his songs. There were a couple pop songs I wasn’t familiar with including “Gangsta” by Kehlani and “In The Name Of Love” by Martin Garrix and Bebe Rexha. So I press play trying to be as opened minded as possible.
Most of the songs were really well done. They were recognizable enough to the originals but with enough Punk to make them Pop. I was excited for “Stitches,” and it held up. “Let it Go,” by The Pilot in You was also amazing. At first I assumed it was the song from Frozen. I was relieved. The other songs followed suit including “Love Yourself” by Grayscale. It won’t beat out the original, but I didn’t feel like he had stomped and spit on it either.
My only real disappointment was “Heathens” by Boston Manor. The song, originally by Twenty One Pilots had a dark vibe to it. I expected this to be heavy and full of angst. It was the same. It was much more of a karaoke cover than a punk song.
All in all, the Punk Goes Pop producers delivered another crank worthy, subtle head-banging, sing-a-long album.
PUNK GOES POP VOL. 7 TRACK LISTING:
1. State Champs “Stitches” originally performed by Shawn Mendes
2. Dance Gavin Dance “That’s What I Like” originally performed by Bruno Mars
3. New Years Day “Gangsta” originally performed by Kehlani
4. The Amity Affliction “Can’t Feel My Face” originally performed by The Weeknd
5. Andy Black (feat. Juliet Simms) “When We Were Young” originally performed by Adele
6. Grayscale “Love Yourself” originally performed by Justin Bieber
7. Capsize “Fake Love” originally performed by Drake
8. Boston Manor “Heathens” originally performed by Twenty One Pilots
9. Eat Your Heart Out “Shape Of You” originally performed by Ed Sheeran
10. The Plot In You “Let It Go” originally performed by James Bay
11. Ice Nine Kills “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever” originally performed by ZAYN & Taylor Swift
12. Seaway “Closer” originally performed by The Chainsmokers (feat. Halsey)
13. Too Close To Touch “In The Name Of Love” originally performed by Martin Garrix & Bebe Rexha